An Eventful Weekend

Well, it's been about a month or so since I moved to Kuala Lumpur (KL). It is quite strange that just a few months ago, I was in China working as an English lecturer in the Beijing Institute of Technology and today, I am in KL working as a Marketing Executive in one of the most reputable airlines in the world, Singapore Airlines. I shall save my career experiences for another post.

Anyway, a few weekends ago, I was looking in a mirror and realised that since moving down to KL, I had not gotten a haircut. It was rather messy, unkept and regardless of how I styled it, I still look like the typical 'Ah-Pek.' Eventually, the guys at the office began to ask me if I will ever change my hairstyle.


Photo taken the day before cutting my hair. Attended a wedding dinner with my dad. Have to admit, my hair looks terrible compared to my dad.


Anyway, being asked by my colleagues seemed like a call to action. So my only response:


My only problem was that ever since moving to Kuala Lumpur, I have never had a haircut hence I do not know any good hairstylists. Going around the SS15, there was a row of hair salons. Popping into a random one (didn't manage to get the name but I remembered the location.... it's directly in front of Asia Cafe's parking lot). 

Anyway, I was greeted by a very friendly owner and his partner who asked me if it was ok to wait for a while (2 of them manning a shop with 3 customers ahead of me). I didn't mind waiting and after about half-a-hour, they attended to me. To be frank, to cut my hair and wash it should not take more than 30 minutes. However, this haircut took an impressive 1 hour and 15 minutes (I'm not freaking Repunzel for Christ's sake). Usually, I would be ticked off at the delay but:

THE FINAL RESULT?
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
BOOM!


I have to admit, there have been many a times when I get a haircut, the end result would always stand to disappoint me. This was not one of those times. Looking in the mirror, I was wondering how the hairstylist managed to capture the very essence of the hairstyle I had always wanted.


Frontal view. If my face was any thinner, it would definitely make this photo look a whole lot better. Photo credits to Melissa Tan for this lovely photo.


Later that evening, we went to MidValley to get some groceries from AEON (best place for quality and reasonably priced groceries). Had dinner at Madam Kwan's. Despite not having much hype surrounding it, I find that the food is reasonably priced (albeit being in a prime shopping area and thus paying a very high rental). 

I ordered a bowl of prawn noodles while Melissa had some good old fashioned Ipoh Kueh Teow (rice noodles) and a bowl of wanton to fill the gaps in the stomach. The total bill was of course higher than what you would get in a hawker centre but significantly less than the food in Secret Recipe or Manhattan Fish Market.

The portion of food is indeed sufficient and for a restaurant selling local delicacies, it does hit the soft spot on the tongue rather well.


Customary food shot before eating. Omnomnomnom.


On a separate note, we also decided to go for supper one night and I remembered a place I used to go to in Kajang called Nyuk Lan Satay Kajang (Restoran Malaysia). Driving down to Kajang at 11pm, we found the shop closed so the next best place which was Satay Kajang Haji Samuri next to Kajang Stadium.


Yes, taking photos of your food is definitely a must. Heh! Heh!


An interesting fact while we were there. Apparently, Melissa's parents went to the same Kajang Satay joint when they were still students in UKM. Definitely an interesting revelation.

All in all, the weekend was indeed eventful. Til' my next post.


Comments

Popular Posts