Skip to main content

My Little Sister is All Grown Up

The sad but inconvenient truth is that I had to know this through Facebook. How ironic, the thing which actually brought people closer could actually lead to ones eventual downfall. But the reason I am writing this post is not to express distraught (like how I usually do) but to rejoice. The status blared across my Facebook News Feed:

“Tricia Gan is in a relationship with Leong Chia How”

Tonnes of comments swooped across the page as if it were greased lightning. A bit ‘paiseh’ that I was one of the last to give my congratulations. After more than 3/4 of a year since you became my lil’ sis, you finally got into a relationship with a person whom you truly love and I am sure he will love you just the same. Goodness gracious, time does really fly. It seems like just yesterday you were pestering me with your adorable little smile and big bulbous eyes. As much as those seem like a pain in my neck but they made me grew fonder each time. You really behaved uniquely as opposed to many others. You were like the sister I never had (seriously, I never had a biological sister). Sometimes, you would ask about things related to the general functions of the world and some of which I was not too familiar with. I would always try (though I fail miserably) to answer them but despite the hard effort to explain them, they have indeed made me more resilient to repetitive questions.

I do agree that my EQ has not been the best or even close to good but I have always wanted to be a friend and to be helpful to everyone. It’s just that my messages and intentions are always misunderstood by many. I do not blame them though. It’s hard for people to understand someone who blows his lid every single minute. I appreciated it deeply, the fact that you always believed in me despite many others condemning me based on my personality. You know the background of my life and I am happy and grateful that you have held on to me all this while.

Some of the major points which I had never told you before occurs not within the 3/4 of a year but way before that. The first time I saw you was the weekend after OLE 2010 near the MPH Hall. You were there with your family, though I did not really bother why you were really there. Fast forward 3 months and we were rushing to pull through the final leg of F-Night 2010. Despite the impression many had on you, I had always believed that you would change for the better one day. That was why I was so happy when you became my lil’ sister. It was quite a strange feeling at first, how an iron fisted person like me can actually have a lil’ sister.

Fast forward 3/4 of a year and time has really made the best out of you. You have became better, stronger and more compassionate than ever before. It may be hard for you to see it but I can see it and I hope you’d take my word for it. You outperform and outlast the best of people in ways you can’t even imagine. You have indeed taught me the true value of friendship and what it means to be human. There is nothing embarrassing about crying. Even the toughest of men cry. It only makes you more human. You have also made me feel what it felt like to lose everything at one go and what it felt like to be knocked down to the ground. All this has made me a much stronger person I will have to say and I really thank you for that. I am happy to be able to learn from you too.

The most unique thing you possess is your smile. It’s something not many people have, lil’ sis. A smile which creases across your face every single minute is a sight to behold. The unique part about it is that it rubs off on even the hardest and cruellest of tyrants. Soon, you will realise that these tyrants begin to smile more often. It’s amazing how a cheerful personality can make another person feel cheerful too.

Here are a few photos which I found lying in my picture library. As I look through them, they really bring back fond memories and remind me of how much time has passed since we first met.

DSC01569

The first photo I ever took with you. My goodness, you were really small back then.

DSC01413

Correction, this was the first. That’s why I did the same thing you did to me right back at you.

21082011535

More than a year later, you have blossomed into a beautiful, young butterfly.

21082011537

Though some habits still die hard. You still are camera shy at times.

DSC03188

You always epitomized the smile in every situation.

04062011439_1

Once again, the smile is evident.

21082011564

With a smile on your face, you continue to soar higher and to be free.

The 3/4 of the year was indeed memorable. I hope you will be able to remember them as I do. The time has come now for me to take my seat. You are now in the safe and capable hands of you boyfriend. I wish you all the most sincere happiness and prosperity and may your relationship last for the generations to come.

I look in the mirror as the wrinkles on my face crease wider and the white hairs on my head grow longer. I am not getting any younger but I hope that I have been able to make an impact in your life. Follow what your heart tells you and never give up no matter what. In life, there are always choices. It depends on whether you want to look for them or not.

It has been an honour to have you as a lil’ sister and I thank you for that. Finally, I would like to apologise for any harm I have caused you throughout the length of time and I hope you will not hold a personal grudge against this aging fellow. You always told me that people can change no matter what so please do believe that.

You have truly become everything anyone could ever ask for and I would say that your boyfriend is one lucky person to have you. I am sure he will wake up everyday knowing that he is the luckiest person alive to have you. Continue pushing forward and never forget those who will always be there for you. Always remember, if you need any advice or help, I am always here to help.

Take care my dear lil’ sis. You have truly become everything I could ever ask for. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review–Pentahotel Hong Kong (Kowloon)

This is my first time doing this sort of a review so please bear with me and do give me your most honest feedback (should there be any). During my recent trip to Hong Kong, I was staying in a rather unique boutique hotel with a superb concept. An Overview
Pentahotel Hong Kong (Kowloon) is situated in an area known as Diamond Hill in Kowloon, the price for the night is significantly cheaper than the hotels on the main island of Hong Kong. Situated inconspicuously among factory and warehouses, privacy and peace are essential guarantees of this hotel.  The hotel boasts a towering 32-floors in height and a total of 695 guest rooms. Despite the building being 32 floors high, there are 6 elevators ensuring that no one has to wait more than a minute before getting an elevator. Accompanying facilities include a convenience store, recreation room, a cafe, a pizza bar and conference facilities. Further details will be listed at the end of the review.First Impressions
The main entrance of the hote…

Singapore Airline Training and Outing @ Parkroyal Penang

Hello again, dear readers. As you might have already known, I am currently a Senior Marketing Executive for Singapore Airlines Limited. It has been already 7 months since I've joined Singapore Airlines. Anyway, like all major corporations, there will always be either an annual dinner or outing. In the case of Singapore Airlines Limited, for the year 2015, we chose Penang as the spot to have our annual staff outing and dinner.

DAY 1: HEADING THERE

The day started early. By early, I mean waking up at 0530 hours to head to office (pickup point). Before heading there, we dropped by to fetch my colleague Douglas. What was interesting to know was that the roads at that hour were completely empty. It is eerie to know that the roads that I go through daily, fighting off traffic was now nothing more than a desolate scene out of the walking dead. Anyway, enough thoughts. When we got to the office, we had a light breakfast at the mamak downstairs. After "suffing" ourselves, we head…

23rd Birthday @ Thirty8, Grand Hyatt

I may be about 2 months too late but I do want to share about a truly amazing birthday surprise. As my 23rd birthday came to view, I noticed my dear girlfriend was busy on the phone. I never really gave it much thought about what she was doing (perhaps ordering some girls stuff via the telephone?). However, I didn't know she was planning a surprise for my birthday. 

On the day itself, she dressed herself up really splendidly. I on the other hand managed to put on a shirt and a pair of jeans (the male effort of dressing up splendidly). She set the GPS for me and I just followed it all the way until we found ourselves at the entrance of the Grand Hyatt @ Kuala Lumpur. Mouth left ajar, I began to question what did she do (I'm a frugal person so places like the Grand Hyatt would rarely appear on my list). 
Entering the lift, we went up to the 38th floor and that was when I realised that there was such a restaurant called Thirty8. Unbeknownst to the general people like you and me, th…