Skip to main content

The Day We Heard The Orchestra

In my one year in college, there will always be one thing which I will always remember, “Going to the Orchestra.” By orchestra here, I’m meaning the Malaysian Philharmonic Orchestra at the Petronas Philharmonic Hall. Yeah, first things first, how does a business student end up at a music hall. Well, to answer that, lets just say that having some influential friends can help you pull some influential strings to achieve some influential tickets to the orchestra (Lip Yong takes Music Appreciation under AUP so he can take friends to watch the orchestra). Man, I love my extreme exaggeration skills. Heh! Heh! Anyway, it was very nice of him to grab me and Catherine along for the orchestra.

DSC02596

I twisted my neck taking this photo. Yes, the Petronas Philharmonic Hall is part of the Twin ‘Jagungs’ Towers.

CHAPTER 1 – TRIUMPH OUT OF ADVERSITY

We managed to go for two of these events which was quite unique. The first of which was on 26th September 2010 on a Sunday. We took the INTI Bus to the Philharmonic Hall. But it was on that day I made a close to fatal but more likely embarrassing experience which will be explained in the following picture:

DSC02605

What is wrong with this shot? Based on the dressing style.

.

.

.

NOTICE WHAT I’M DRESSED IN??

Yeah, I wore a bowtie and a full suit on the wrong day. It’s a known policy that one needs to wear ultra-formal on Saturday night performances. Sunday on the other hand exercises more leniency. This means that rather than dressing like that, a polo T-shirt and slacks would be suffice. Jeez… If I knew, I wouldn’t have dressed like that. Anyway, here’s two photos of the inside of the hall. With some of the nice interior design of the hall.

DSC02600

Just before the interval ended.

DSC02601

That item in the background is actually a massive pipe organ for your information.

The typical impression everyone would give: “Orchestra? Waste of money. Pay so much to be put to sleep by boring songs.”

I can assure you, that impression would be as wrong as it’ll ever get. The music and synchrony is absolutely mind blowing (mind BLASTING according to Kok Hin). The tunes played were so empowering, with the sound of violins, harps, cymbals and the works, all working to achieve a massive crescendo. An overture of dreams and a concerto of empowerment. Honestly, this are one of the few things Malaysia has which is taken for granted by many. If Malaysia had 7 Wonders, this would be one of them. Ticket prices may be steep at some performances depending on whose performing and the number of performers but I can assure you that it’s worth every single cent.

While we were there, we were also given some time to do a little shopping but being that it was Suria KLCC, window shopping would be wiser and more apparent. Well, here are some photos as usual to give you all a clearer view of what happened. As they always say, a picture speaks a thousand words. So, here are some photos to speak thousands of words.

DSC02602

Buddies 4 Life! From left, Lip Yong (Lipton), Kok Hin (Vietcong), Florence (Tiny Little Firecracker), Catherine (My Dear)

DSC02608

The ones who are taking Music Appreciation. Thanks for dragging friends along for the opportunity.

DSC02610

A garden amidst a concrete jungle.

DSC02617

Kok Hin poised to pull down a tree…. Ha! Ha!

DSC02620

Kok Hin: Dey! Don’t stand so close to her. Mine ar.

 

CHAPTER 2 – ‘PSYCHO’ THE MUSICAL

The second time I went for the Philharmonic Orchestra was on 10th October 2010. Once again, courtesy of Lip Yong. This time, we were given the opportunity to witness a movie screening with the movie soundtracks, courtesy of the Malaysian Philharmonic Orchestra. The music was really haunting in ways but extremely synchronised to the movie scenes. Later, we were fortunate enough to be able to do some more window shopping as well as a chance to view a really awesome bike show. So, here are some shots we took the second time we went.

DSC02786

Lip Yong and Symone. Don’t they look so sweet together?

DSC02782

Me and my dear. HAH! I’m not dressed so ultra formal this time.

DSC02787

A beautiful outfit on a beautiful girl. NO TOUCH! She’s mine. XD

DSC02788

Trying to be a real good poser.

DSC02791

Up close headshot.

DSC02792

Little Miss Always Happy…XD

DSC02795

Dirt Bike of sorts?

DSC02796

Harley Davidson’s brother from another mother…

DSC02802

Just needed to pose in front of this bike.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review–Pentahotel Hong Kong (Kowloon)

This is my first time doing this sort of a review so please bear with me and do give me your most honest feedback (should there be any). During my recent trip to Hong Kong, I was staying in a rather unique boutique hotel with a superb concept. An Overview
Pentahotel Hong Kong (Kowloon) is situated in an area known as Diamond Hill in Kowloon, the price for the night is significantly cheaper than the hotels on the main island of Hong Kong. Situated inconspicuously among factory and warehouses, privacy and peace are essential guarantees of this hotel.  The hotel boasts a towering 32-floors in height and a total of 695 guest rooms. Despite the building being 32 floors high, there are 6 elevators ensuring that no one has to wait more than a minute before getting an elevator. Accompanying facilities include a convenience store, recreation room, a cafe, a pizza bar and conference facilities. Further details will be listed at the end of the review.First Impressions
The main entrance of the hote…

Singapore Airline Training and Outing @ Parkroyal Penang

Hello again, dear readers. As you might have already known, I am currently a Senior Marketing Executive for Singapore Airlines Limited. It has been already 7 months since I've joined Singapore Airlines. Anyway, like all major corporations, there will always be either an annual dinner or outing. In the case of Singapore Airlines Limited, for the year 2015, we chose Penang as the spot to have our annual staff outing and dinner.

DAY 1: HEADING THERE

The day started early. By early, I mean waking up at 0530 hours to head to office (pickup point). Before heading there, we dropped by to fetch my colleague Douglas. What was interesting to know was that the roads at that hour were completely empty. It is eerie to know that the roads that I go through daily, fighting off traffic was now nothing more than a desolate scene out of the walking dead. Anyway, enough thoughts. When we got to the office, we had a light breakfast at the mamak downstairs. After "suffing" ourselves, we head…

23rd Birthday @ Thirty8, Grand Hyatt

I may be about 2 months too late but I do want to share about a truly amazing birthday surprise. As my 23rd birthday came to view, I noticed my dear girlfriend was busy on the phone. I never really gave it much thought about what she was doing (perhaps ordering some girls stuff via the telephone?). However, I didn't know she was planning a surprise for my birthday. 

On the day itself, she dressed herself up really splendidly. I on the other hand managed to put on a shirt and a pair of jeans (the male effort of dressing up splendidly). She set the GPS for me and I just followed it all the way until we found ourselves at the entrance of the Grand Hyatt @ Kuala Lumpur. Mouth left ajar, I began to question what did she do (I'm a frugal person so places like the Grand Hyatt would rarely appear on my list). 
Entering the lift, we went up to the 38th floor and that was when I realised that there was such a restaurant called Thirty8. Unbeknownst to the general people like you and me, th…