Skip to main content

Founders Day 2009

It's been 102 years since the scouting movement was started by Lord Baden Powell. This would be my last year celebrating Founder's Day and I am somewhat sad but glad that it was the most memorable experience of Founder's Day ever. And I am proud to have been a member of 02 Kinta Scout Troop for 5 years.

It began at the strike of 5.30pm. Scouts of 02 Kinta assembled in force. It began with the senior patrol consisting of Form 4's, teaching the younger ones cheers and songs. It was a bit sad that I'm already Form 5. It'll be the last year for me as I said. And I didn't get a chance to go out there with my fellow patrol members and holler the cheers one more time.

We were busy categorizing the food into their respective categories. It's a bit strange seeing the type of food being brought there. When I was Form 1, we used to have extremely simple food. Nowadays, pizzas and KFC Chicken donned the tables. It's just a strange sense of evolution between the older generation and the current one.



2% of what was served. KFC and Pizza? What the hell happened to tradition?

Next, our honourable secretary gave a brieve history lesson on Lord Baden Powell. Though he stammered a bit, he gave an accurate statement. Later, PB Samuel Lopez played the acoustic version of "Welcome to My Life" by Simple Plan. Good talent I must say. We were even treated to a viseo presentation of the greatest movement on Earth....The Scouts!!!!


Our secretary giving his speech. Sorry, not high megapixel enough.


Next, our group scoutmaster, Master Christoper gave his speech, followed by Mr. Vellupillai and ex- scoutmaster, Master Timothy Chee and Master Thomas Choo. I understood the difference between scouts of the past and present. The big gap between the way they rolled and the way we rolled. It's a great learning experience. Then, the cake cutting ceremony which the Form 5's were also invited to pose along with the scoutmasters as a mark of respect and honour.
Later, the senior patrol taught the young one's some more songs and finally, the moment everyone has been waiting for....CHOW TIME!!!

FOOD!!!

Everyone formed a bee line to fill their hunger pangs with food of all assortments. Still, by the looks of how they were eating, we thought they might eat the whole table while they are at it. LOL!!! Hungry punks would choke their lungs but grid irons understand ions??? (lame phrase I know.....but the choking part is still hillarious....well, if you get to see it first hand.)

Finally, it was our turn to eat. The sad part was the fact that only junk was left to be harvested but hey, half a loaf is better than none. Then, a quiz was held for the Form 1's and to 11.00pm, our troop leader declared all scouts dismissed.

Walking out the gate, I look back and thought, it's sad to be leaving so fast. Just yesterday, I was a newcomer and today, I leave as a senior. But then, it is a great term as a scout and I will never forget everything it has taught me.




Me and Quartermaster Maken.

Me and Patrol Hang Tuah.....consisting of my brothers in arms, who are sometimes hillarious.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review–Pentahotel Hong Kong (Kowloon)

This is my first time doing this sort of a review so please bear with me and do give me your most honest feedback (should there be any). During my recent trip to Hong Kong, I was staying in a rather unique boutique hotel with a superb concept. An Overview
Pentahotel Hong Kong (Kowloon) is situated in an area known as Diamond Hill in Kowloon, the price for the night is significantly cheaper than the hotels on the main island of Hong Kong. Situated inconspicuously among factory and warehouses, privacy and peace are essential guarantees of this hotel.  The hotel boasts a towering 32-floors in height and a total of 695 guest rooms. Despite the building being 32 floors high, there are 6 elevators ensuring that no one has to wait more than a minute before getting an elevator. Accompanying facilities include a convenience store, recreation room, a cafe, a pizza bar and conference facilities. Further details will be listed at the end of the review.First Impressions
The main entrance of the hote…

Singapore Airline Training and Outing @ Parkroyal Penang

Hello again, dear readers. As you might have already known, I am currently a Senior Marketing Executive for Singapore Airlines Limited. It has been already 7 months since I've joined Singapore Airlines. Anyway, like all major corporations, there will always be either an annual dinner or outing. In the case of Singapore Airlines Limited, for the year 2015, we chose Penang as the spot to have our annual staff outing and dinner.

DAY 1: HEADING THERE

The day started early. By early, I mean waking up at 0530 hours to head to office (pickup point). Before heading there, we dropped by to fetch my colleague Douglas. What was interesting to know was that the roads at that hour were completely empty. It is eerie to know that the roads that I go through daily, fighting off traffic was now nothing more than a desolate scene out of the walking dead. Anyway, enough thoughts. When we got to the office, we had a light breakfast at the mamak downstairs. After "suffing" ourselves, we head…

23rd Birthday @ Thirty8, Grand Hyatt

I may be about 2 months too late but I do want to share about a truly amazing birthday surprise. As my 23rd birthday came to view, I noticed my dear girlfriend was busy on the phone. I never really gave it much thought about what she was doing (perhaps ordering some girls stuff via the telephone?). However, I didn't know she was planning a surprise for my birthday. 

On the day itself, she dressed herself up really splendidly. I on the other hand managed to put on a shirt and a pair of jeans (the male effort of dressing up splendidly). She set the GPS for me and I just followed it all the way until we found ourselves at the entrance of the Grand Hyatt @ Kuala Lumpur. Mouth left ajar, I began to question what did she do (I'm a frugal person so places like the Grand Hyatt would rarely appear on my list). 
Entering the lift, we went up to the 38th floor and that was when I realised that there was such a restaurant called Thirty8. Unbeknownst to the general people like you and me, th…